Saturday, December 26, 2009

What a Difference a Day Makes



Yesterday, when Tegist and Darcie were talking about taking Bereket back to the guest house that afternoon, I admit I was a little hesitant. I’ve known all along my life was going to be changing, but I didn’t know if I was ready right then. It’s been a great 24 hours, though (other than Darcie, Mark, and me not sleeping). We had a leisurely morning at the guest house and then went shopping at the market. I’ve commented before that I’d rather have my eyes gouged out than go to another market for bartering, etc. I was thinking it was going to be even worse with Mark and Bereket along. Both did very well. We went to one little shop as our home base, and I sat with Bereket most of the time. He was perfect! Bereket slept in Darcie’s arms for our three drives today. I don’t think he’s ridden in cars often, and he finds it very soothing. (I hope 16 hour plane rides have the same affect!)

From the market we drove to Bright Hope for his “going away” party. We brought streamers, balloons, bubbles, and gifts for the children (great idea) and party noise makers (terrible idea--at least in my opinion. They seemed to love them!) We had pizza and played games. It was a bittersweet time with the children who are waiting saying goodbye to one who now has a family and with us trying to say thank you to those who took care of our little boy until our family was able to be together.

I had the most unexpected feeling when we first arrived at Bright Hope today. One of the workers wanted to hold him, and I was hesitant to give him up (and Bereket was hesitant to go). They took him upstairs, and I kept thinking, “I need to go check on him.” 24 hours ago I was hesitant to take him. Today I hardly give him up--even for a few minutes!

Back at the guest home, we’ve seen more spark and bigger smiles. He has a great impish grin that makes his eyes light up. He’s already figuring out Mama, Dada, and Mark. We discovered that his word for truck is “beep, beep” (lots of horn usage in this country) and every animal from dogs to cats, to pandas, to zebras make a quietish roaring sound. We’ve also seen a pretty fiercely independent spirit, and he’s starting to express some of his opinions. Just a few reminders that he’s almost two!

4 comments:

  1. We are so happy that things are going so well. Mark, you are a terrific brother and a great help to your parents. Keep up the good work!

    Carter for Carter and Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I anxiously await every single post from you all. They just keep getting better and better. Thank you, Lord, for answering ALL our prayers for the Raines family.

    Do plan to get some sleep tonight.

    Love you all,
    Aunt Sissy & Uncle Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds like yall are having a great time. except for the eye gouging out thing. though, i did find that rather humorous. i hope yall keep having a great time and i cant wait to meet him when yall get back. the dogs are doing great. i threw a snowball in the air yesterday and phoebe went to get in and pounced in the snow only to find out that there was really nothing to get. they really seem to be enjoying the snow as am i.

    -kurt-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, Darcie and Mark! Wow I am so happy I got to read your blog updates! He is a beautiful little boy and I can't wait to meet him when I return! It looks like Addison will have a new little playmate! We love you all and are praying that return trip goes well! I am so happy for you!

    Lauren, Brandon, and Addison Wolfram

    ReplyDelete